Path length: 48.3 miles
Width: 200 yards
County: Christian, Greene, Polk, Dallas
This summary looks at an F2 tornado with a long, skipping path through parts of SW Missouri on December 14, 1971. The tornado developed just south of Billings. Several farm buildings were destroyed here. It moved NE toward Republic hitting the Moneyham trailer park and a residential area. At least 12 homes were damaged. Just west of Springfield, two mobile homes were destroyed and one man was killed.
The Municipal airport in NW Springfield was damaged along with 35 planes.
Storm Data Entry
We gathered information for this event from the SPC & NCDC Databases, the December 1977 Storm Data Publication and Thomas Grazulis in Significant Tornadoes and found the following differences:
- SPC/NCDC have a 48.3 mile path length.
- Grazulis and Storm Data have a length at 49 miles. Both list intermittent/skipping path.
- SPC lists Christian, Greene, Polk and Dallas Counties in the path.
- Storm Data and Grazulis do not have Polk County.
- The NCDC listing are not correct: They start with Christian and go to Greene. They then list Greene again and end with Polk.
- The SPC coordinates plot a path that included all 4 counties.
Did you enjoy reading about this event? Help us create MORE summaries like this one by becoming a Patreon Supporter!
Questions or comments about this summary? Contact us here: http://tornadotalk.com/contact-us/
Join the tornado history discussion on our Discord Channel: https://discordapp.com/invite/Xm43dQj