Path length: 38 miles
Width: 73 yards
Parish: Caldwell, Richland
This tornado developed in open country near the Jackson-Caldwell parish line. It moved to the northeast near Corey. The survey states the tornado path was not continuous. A tenant farm was destroyed. 16-year-old Julia Bass was killed. Her infant daughter, Emily (Or Emile) Lee, was carried with the debris for about 300-400 yards. The infant and Julia’s Mom, Josephine, were taken to the hospital due to injuries sustained when the tornado hit.
Few discrepancies to note:
1. The official Storm Prediction Center (SPC) rating of this tornado is F3. Thomas Grazulis in Significant Tornadoes believes the rating was F2. He mentions the tenant home was “frail”.
2. Parishes in the path: SPC lists Caldwell and Richland Parish. Storm Data adds Ouachita Parish. Grazulis only has Caldwell. The SPC coordinates go through both Caldwell and Richland. The Storm Data summary states, “the storm moved on into Richland Parish, but no further damages reported.” Since there was no damage in Richland Parish and the path didn’t cross into Ouachita Parish, we agree with Grazulis that only Caldwell Parish should be in the path.
3. The SPC have a 38 mile path through the two parishes listed above. Storm Data lists a 35 mile path. Grazulis has a 10 mile path. That seems more plausible since damage was limited to in and around the Corey area in Caldwell Parish only.
We gathered information for this event from the SPC & NCDC Databases, the January 1973 Storm Data Publication and Thomas Grazulis in Significant Tornadoes and found the following differences:
- SPC/NCDC have a 38 mile path.
- Storm Data has a 35 mile path.
- Grazulis has a 10 mile path.
- SPC/NCDC have a width of 73 yards.
- Storm Data has a range of widths from 50-100 yards.
- Grazulis lists a 70 yard width.
- SPC/NCDC have an F3 rating.
- Grazulis has an F2 rating.
Parishes in Path:
- SPC/NCDC list Caldwell and Richland in the path.
- Storm Data includes Ouachita.
- Grazulis only has Caldwell in the path.
Note: There are some images/videos in our summaries that were licensed to us to be used only on this website. If you would like to us an image/video in your project or blog, please contact us and we will grant permission if possible.
Newspaper clips are embedded via newspapers.com. Please see their terms and conditions.