Path length: 88 miles
Width: 880 yards
County: Moore, Hansford, Ochiltree (TX)
The SPC lists a significant, long-track tornado occurred on March 18, 1982. Rating give was F4. There were 12 total injuries.
Doing some digging in all of our sources (NCDC database, Storm Data Narrative, and Significant Tornadoes by Thomas Grazulis), we were able to fine-tune a few of the details. The SPC All Tornadoes database only list the Texas Counties of Moore, Hansford and Ochiltree in the path.
When you plot the official SPC coordinates, the plot start in NE Moore County (TX). It moves through SE Sherman through Hansford and into NW Ochiltree County. It them goes into Oklahoma through SE Texas County and ends in Beaver County.
The NCDC database has entries for Moore, Hansford, Ochiltree (TX) and Beaver (OK). Grazulis lists Moore, Sherman, Hansford (TX) and Texas and Beaver (OK).
So none of the sources are in agreement with what counties to include in the path, but the SPC path crosses through all of them.
We deduce this was NOT a straight path. Storm Data mentions the tornado skipped and Grazulis believes this was more than likely a family of tornadoes.
Here are some of the damage details from Storm Data:
- 1/2 mile wide tornado.
- Most damage to farm, ranch buildings and equipment.
- Mentions skipping occurred in Oklahoma.
- Rating was F3 in Oklahoma.
- 2 houses, 2 mobile homes, a dairy barn, irrigation equipment, cars, fence, power lines all damaged but more detail unknown.
Here are some of the damage details from Significant Tornadoes:
- Tornado tore apart more than a dozen farms or ranches and ripped pavement from roads in Hansford County.
- Passed 2 miles SE of Gruver, TX and into Oklahoma.
- Some of the 7 Oklahoma injuries occurred as 2 mobile homes were destroyed near Bryans Corner.
- Two frame homes destroyed in Oklahoma.
We gathered information for this event from the SPC & NCDC Databases, the March 1982 Storm Data Publication and Thomas Grazulis in Significant Tornadoes and found the following differences:
- SPC/NCDC have the length at 88 miles.
- Storm Data has the TX portion at 70 miles and OK portion as 5 miles. They also mention the tornado skipped.
- Grazulis has a family of tornadoes at 70 miles.
- Grazulis has a max width of 800 yards.
- All other sources list the max width in TX at 880 yards and in OK at 50 yards.
- The SPC All Tornadoes files only has the TX counties of Moore, Hansford and Ochiltree.
- When looking through the NCDC Database to gather the counties, there are entries for: Moore, Hansford and Ochiltree in TX and Beaver in OK.
- Storm Data has an entry for Moore & Hansford (TX) and Beaver (OK).
- Grazulis lists Moore, Sherman, Hansford (TX) and Texas, Beaver (OK).
- The official SPC plot crosses through the following counties: Starts in TX in NE Moore County. Moves through SE Sherman through Hansford County into NW Ochiltree. The tornado moves into OK into SE Texas County and ends in Beaver County.
Did you enjoy reading about this event? Help us create MORE summaries like this one by becoming a Supporter on Patreon!
Questions or comments about this summary? Contact us here: http://tornadotalk.com/contact-us/
Join the tornado history discussion on our Discord Channel: https://discordapp.com/invite/Xm43dQj