This summary looks back at an estimated F4 tornado from January 28, 1947. It moved from parts of Fulton County, Arkansas into Oregon and Carter Counties in Missouri. Information for this event came from the following resources:
- Thomas Grazulis in Significant Tornadoes
- Newspaper articles via newspapers.com
Here are the stats on this event from Thomas Grazulis:
Hit at 1800 local time. There were 19 injuries and 1 fatality. The path length was 45 miles and the width 400 yards. Rating given: F4.
Details from Grazulis:
- Moved northeast passing 4 miles SE of Thayer, MO.
- About 330 buildings damaged/destroyed.
- A few homes were leveled.
- Most of the damage was to farm buildings, livestock and timber.
- Homes destroyed in Barren Hollow, Norman and on Highway 14 east of Alton.
- Tornado ended south of Van Buren.
- Death was at Barren Hollow (near Thayer).
Additional Details from newspapers:
I found this information on the fatality outside of Thayer:
Click Map To Enlarge
Since we don’t have official coordinates, I used the information from Thomas Grazulis to map the tornado track. He stated the tornado moved through from Fulton County, AR through parts of Oregon and Carter Counties in MO for 45 miles. He mentions the tornado passed 4 miles SE of Thayer, MO. Homes were damaged in Barren Hollow, Norman and on Hwy-14 east of Alton and the path ended south of Van Buren.
I found a Barren Hollow valley location in Oregon County and mapped those coordinates. I couldn’t find Norman in this area but found a “Norman Cemetery” in Oregon County and mapped that. These communities may not longer exist. I could not find Highway 14.
Using all of those points, I mapped an estimated path.
Note: Exact tornado path may not be straight and/or continuous.
Did you enjoy reading about this event? Help us create MORE summaries like this one by becoming a Supporter on Patreon!
Questions or comments about this summary? Contact us here: http://tornadotalk.com/contact-us/
Join the tornado history discussion on our Discord Channel: https://discordapp.com/invite/Xm43dQj